Galway Lions Club, in partnership with the HSE, have delivered SafeTALK, a three-hour training programme that helps participants to become alert to persons with suicidal thoughts. It also helps participants to gain a clear understanding of what steps they should take in order to help individuals with these thoughts.
People at risk are more likely to get life-saving help when they need it most, if more people in their community have SafeTALK suicide alertness skills.
This training is suitable for anyone over 18 years of age, who has not been affected by a recent loss, who wants to help prevent suicide in their community. This program helps you
- Notice and respond to situations where suicide thoughts might be present
- Recognise invitations for help that are often overlooked
- Move beyond the common tendency to miss, dismiss and avoid suicide
- Apply the TALK steps: Tell, Ask, Listen and Keep safe
- Identify community resources and learn how to connect someone with thoughts of suicide with people and agencies that can help.
- Provides you with the confidence to engage in conversation around suicide.
If you would like to participate in a SafeTALK program. Please provide your details here (Link to contact form).
Additional information and training resources can be found at Lions Club Ireland Suicide Prevention (Link https://lionsclubs.ie/service/suicide-prevention/)
If you know a person who needs urgent help, CALL SAMARITANS FREE CALL: 116 123 (ROI, UK & NI).